fedora for ARM

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Jun 4 11:43:39 UTC 2007

Linus Walleij wrote:

> 2. As I understand it you employ the Fedora/x86 style of not using a
>    cross-compiler to build these packages, but rather build them with ARM
>    on ARM. I am aware of some RPM derivatives like those used by
>    MontaVista, that employ a cross-compiler instead. What are your thought
>    on these issues? Have you tested both solutions and come to the
>    conclusion that the all-ARM-enclosed build system is the way to go?

In my somewhat limited experience cross-compiling of software which is not
designed for that from day one is a big pain, let alone cross-compiling an
entire distro! There are indeed some hacks around rpm to make the packahes
think they are being build nativly, but what I've seen these are very gross
hacks and still break often.

Native compiling definitively is the way to go, an alternative might be
emulating the native system and building in the emulated system.

Regards,

Hans