Why isn't emacs installed by default

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 4 16:37:48 UTC 2007

Andrew Haley wrote:
> Nicolas Mailhot writes:
>  >
>  > Le Lun 4 juin 2007 14:12, Andrew Haley a écrit :
>  > > Nicolas Mailhot writes:
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Le Lun 4 juin 2007 13:28, Andrew Haley a écrit :
>  > >
>  > > From a user's point of view, the important thing is the extent to
>  > > which using the current desktop font infrastructure, using one of the
>  > > main GUI desktop toolkits, etc. would enhance emacs.
>  >
>  > I won't enter in this argument.
>
> Well, it's the only argument that is at all persuasive from the point
> of view of an upstream maintainer.  "Use this cool stuff and emacs
> will be better, because ..." is a hell of a lot more persuasive than
> "Use this cool stuff or we'll kill emacs."

Nobody killed emacs. It is in the repository. Just not installed by
default and hasn't been for a long time now. XMMS was dropped before
from the default set because it was relying on GTK1 which made it the
only default desktop application that didn't support the internalization
and accessibility features. If applications don't get the improvements
users expect in modern desktop sometime or the other these applications
are likely to be sidelined. Not saying that Emacs is in such a position
now though.

Rahul