F7 - CPU fan at full speed after resume

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Mon Jun 4 17:47:10 UTC 2007

I'm running Fedora 7 on my Acer TravelMate 6413 notebook.  If I suspend to
RAM and then resume immediately everything is fine, but if I leave it
suspended for a while (over night, for example) then when it resumes the
CPU fan comes on at full speed and stays on indefinately.  Hibernating and
then resuming returns the fan to it's correct behaviour.

After a bit of Googling I have tried kicking the fan's ACPI driver by
doing:
   echo -n 3 >/proc/acpi/fan/FAN0/state
   echo -n 0 >/proc/acpi/fan/FAN0/state

The first "echo" line, setting it to D3, produces an error:
   -bash: echo: write error: Exec format error

However, despite the error, dmesg shows:
   ACPI: Transitioning device [FAN0] to D3
   ACPI: Transitioning device [FAN0] to D3

No error is generated for the second "echo" line, setting it to D0, and
nothing is logged in dmesg.  In any case, it seems to have no effect on
the fan's behaviour.

Is there anything I can do to kick the fan back into it's correct
(temperature controlled) behaviour?

--

  - Steve