Why isn't emacs installed by default

Doncho N. Gunchev gunchev at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 18:58:39 UTC 2007

On Monday 2007-06-04 19:34:28 Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 6/4/07, Olivier Galibert <galibert at pobox.com> wrote:
> > Really?  What are your numbers and how did you come to them?  Because
> > every linux user I know uses *emacs or vi* except for one that uses
> > nedit.
>

> Rather than fall into the pointless trap of "everyone I personally
> know' uses application foo" .... here are some suggestive numbers from
> mugshot.
>
> Mugshot does include Emacs in its application stats as a text editor.
> Searching for 'text editor' in mugshot's application db and you get
> this:
> gedit sits at    #6  with 1,863 mugshot users
> emacs sits at    #21 with 482
> vim sits at      #30 with 327
> kate sits at     #70 with 80
> inkscape sits at #40 with 191
>
> and for comparison the leading IDE is eclipse is #25 with 439
> and open office writer sits at #15 with 1,023
>
> -jef"I use emacs, but I do not want to see it in the default install"spaleta

linuxquestions.org -  Text Editor of the Year (2006)
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=514955

vi/vim             639  38.42%
Kate               277  16.66%
gedit              190  11.43%
nano               160   9.62%
KWrite             124   7.46%
emacs/xemacs       114   6.86%
Midnight Commander Editor
mcedit              43   2.59%
pico                31   1.86%
Nedit               23   1.38%
jEdit               24   1.44%
Scite               21   1.26%
joe                 17   1.02%
"Voters: 1663" - too less to draw a conclusion, but still something :-(

I use mcedit, kate and can survive on vi only, but don't ask for mc in
the default install.

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev, GPG key ID: 0EF40B9E, Key server: pgp.mit.edu