CDs from DVD with Pungi almost works

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Jun 5 14:52:31 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 05 June 2007 10:44:26 Tony Nelson wrote:
> Pungi doesn't just use the comps.xml list of packages and the given repo to
> make the install images?  It gets some of its content from the running OS?
> Perhaps what Pungi gets from the running OS could be added to the
> documentation when that gets written.

Pungi reads a manifest file that is of kickstart syntax to determine what
to "download".  It then has to run some anaconda tools on what it downloads
to make them installable.  Those anaconda tools must match the version of
anaconda that is in the distribution.  So you need Fedora 7 anaconda tools to
compose Fedora 7, and those tools need other parts of Fedora 7, and so on.  I
do believe this is documented at
https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/pungi but maybe not clear enough,
I'm not a docs writer.

> >> Where is this .manifest file shipped?  There are no .manifest files on
> >> the DVD.
> >
> >It's shipped in the Fedora 7 pungi package.
>
> And apparantly can't be used by a Pungi that runs on FC6.  Too bad.
> Perhaps I'll be able to make do with the comps.xml file on the DVD.  (If it
> won't work, it would help to say how it won't work, because it seems to
> work.)

The resulting iso set will fail.  You'll have an install environment of Fedora
7 packages built with Fedora 6 tools that are incompatible.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora