CDs from DVD with Pungi almost works

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Tue Jun 5 16:16:27 UTC 2007

At 11:28 AM -0400 6/5/07, Jesse Keating wrote:

>On Tuesday 05 June 2007 11:23:57 Tony Nelson wrote:
>> OK.  I'll give up now.  No F7 CDs from me.
>
>You do realize that the Fedora 7 i686 LiveCD is installable right?

Yes.  It will only do clean installs, not upgrades, and only contains a
small subset of the DVD (itself a small subset of Fedora).  People keep
asking for install CDs, even after they try the live CD.

Some people with only a CD drive could do a hard disk upgrade, so they
could use any file splitter and re-assemble the DVD on the install machine.
Others would have to repartition in order to have mountable space for the
DVD image.

Some people can do a yum upgrade.  It doesn't matter how unsupported it is
if the other choice is to use CDs that don't exist.

But other people seem to have machines with a CD drive but no room for a
DVD image and no fast Internet connection to the machine they want to
upgrade or install on.  I don't know if it's really true that buying a DVD
drive is too expensive, but some of them say that.