fc7 i386, yum and explicit dependencies

Tue Jun 5 20:59:46 UTC 2007

Hi all... I must be missing something obvious or I have not noticed this
behavior before...

I'm in the process of building a bunch of packages for fedora 7 and
tried installing them on a brand new i386 install through a meta package
(ie: a package that only contains explicit dependencies using Requires:
and installs all required packages as a side effect). There _are_
packages missing but yum happily goes ahead and installs the meta
package and the dependencies it can find, and ignores the missing
dependencies! Is this expected behavior??

A "package-cleanup --problems" does show the missing dependencies. How
can yum install something which does not have its dependencies met? It
seems to me like a very very basic bug in yum...

-- Fernando