Splitting the ncurses RPM

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Wed Jun 6 15:13:17 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 03:34:33PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 June 2007, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 07:34:30PM -0400, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> >
> > This list is far too short, xterm-256color, gnome, teraterm, jfbterm,
> > mrxvt and others should be included. I guess it will be pretty hard to
> > select from descriptions so the extra terminfo package won't have to
> > be installed by default.
>
> Actually, we already have a small subset defined in /lib/terminfo,
> as opposed to the full set that gets installed to /usr/share/terminfo.
> Maybe it's enough to review the list of files in the former directory
> and then use only those by default, with /usr/share/terminfo in an
> optional package.

In /lib/terminfo should be only a minimal set that might be required
when doing system administration with /usr unmounted. Wondering how
xterm got there.

> What now is in the ncurses package would then become
>
> libncurses: {,/usr}/lib{,64}/*.so.* /lib/terminfo/*
> ncurses-bin: /usr/bin/*, requires: libncurses.%{arch}
> ncurses-data: /usr/share/terminfo/, requires: libncurses
> ncurses: requires: ncurses-bin, ncurses-data.

Ok. Maybe I'd use a bit different naming instead:

ncurses-bin: bin/*
ncurses-base: lib*.so.* /etc/terminfo /lib/terminfo, some of /usr/share/terminfo
ncurses-terminfo: rest of /usr/share/terminfo
ncurses: requires: -bin -base -terminfo

How does this sound?

--
Miroslav Lichvar