Announcing the Fedora Award winners for 2007

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Wed Jun 6 15:22:34 UTC 2007

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 15:06:31 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

> I must say I'm a bit disappointed by this action too, lately there has been a
> lot of uproar that those "managing" Fedora seem to have lost touch with the
> "workfloor". This award to me confirms that there is an in-crowd, an old boys
> network, and the rest of us. And to get into this in-crowd one mainly must do a
> lot of irc-meetings and mailing, actually working oneself into sweat isn't enough.
>
> I'm sad to say that these awards mainly seems to be about who can (social)
> network the most, and not necessarily about contributing.
>
> With this I in no way mean to put down the great work done by most of the award
> receivers. However I do see a drift forming here between some kinda in-crowd
> and the rest, which is an alarming development.

Well said.

What surprised and disappointed me the most is that this award covers a
time-span of several years, not just 2007. And that after years, on one
hand, "it is difficult to sometimes give recognition" (quoting gdk) and on
the other hand it is that easy to come up with an extreme like this award.