Eliminating static binaries (Was: Unwanted RPM dependencies)

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Jun 7 04:05:10 UTC 2007

Chris Adams wrote:

> $ ls -l x-dyn x-stat
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 cmadams users   2816 Jun  6 08:38 x-dyn
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 cmadams users 459492 Jun  6 08:38 x-stat

It's probably time to switch OSes when a NOP program can't
be made smaller than this and most developers don't even
think we have a problem...  Linux has become fat and slow
over the years.

> I don't forsee a static executable being smaller than a dynamic
> executable in the real world.  It is possible that somebody could
> hand-build (e.g. no gcc, ld, etc.) such an executable, but that doesn't
> really count (since that isn't done in the real world).

Somebody actually *could* make small static binaries:

  http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/software/tiny/teensy.html

(for the lazy, the binary is just 45 bytes and even *does*
something useful ;-)

--
   // Bernardo Innocenti
 \X/  http://www.codewiz.org/