Fedora 8 ideas

Xavier Lamien laxathom at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 7 14:38:33 UTC 2007

2007/6/7, Goede, J.W.R. de <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl>:

> Hi all,
>
> Here are some (unsorted) ideas for cool(?) new things todo
> for F8, warning braindump, waring.
>
> 1 Package nvu
> =============
>
> The title pretty much sums it up, package nvu a popular
> opensource web-editor. Anyone know why this hasn't been
> done yet?
>
> 2 Firmware buddy
> ================
>
> Here is what I would like to see (and would be willing to
> write code for):
>
> 1) A firmware load request is send to userspace
> 2) When the userspace firmware helper cannot find this
>    firmware, it logs this to a missing-firmware file.
> 3) When the user logs in, a firmware-helper-applet runs
> 4) If there is missing firmware and a working internet
>    connection, the applet becomes active, otherwise it
> exits
> 5) The applet looksup the firmware name in a table which
>    matches it to a device-identifier.
> 6) The applet looksup manufacturers + productnames (as seen
>
>    on the box/outside) of device-identifier devices.
> 7) The applet shows a gui to the user explaining that
>    firmware is needed for his XXXXX (ex. wireless card) to
>    work, and asks him to select the manufacturer and
> product
>    of his XXXXX.
> 8) The applet downloads the windows-driver from the
>    manufacturers websites and runs a special (per driver)
>    shell script to extract the firmware
> 9) The user is told to reboot (or do something else to
>    get the device re-initialised).

I'm actually working on an gtk UI that able to do the samething for all
uninstalled hardware.
But i don't think it can be added to F8 or higher as its requires to install
extras repository (such as livna, Freshrpms, ...)
My first approach was to provide an gtk wizard that assist the end-user.
If you interessting about my work feel free to contact me.

3 plugin buddy

Xavier.t Lamien
--
French Fedora Ambassador