Building a list of missing firmware (was Re: Fedora 8 ideas)

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Thu Jun 7 17:53:04 UTC 2007

Leszek Matok wrote:
> Dnia 07-06-2007, czw o godzinie 11:06 -0400, Bill Nottingham napisał(a):
>> What cards is this useful for that we don't ship firmware
>> for? Anything other than bcm43xx and ralink?
> For example, there are millions of potential speedtch.ko users here in
> Europe.

Okay,

I think we need to build a list of all potential needed / wanted firmware, with
URL's where to download it and instructions howto unpack it.

We then also need to start contacting the manufacturers asking for
redistribution permission.

Here is a start of the list with things metioned sofar:
sil firmware (for prism and prism_pci)
bcm firmware
ralink firmware
speedtouch firmware
alsa firmware

I think this is best put in the wiki, but where, maybe a firmware SIG?

Regards,

Hans