RFR: GIT Package VCS

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 18:06:10 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 19:34 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le jeudi 07 juin 2007 à 09:21 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi a écrit :
> > On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 13:50 -0400, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> > > o Do we want to move to a process where code is just in a repo and it's
> > > built automatically instead of source + patches + spec file?
> >
> > I have a lot more to say on this topic but for now I'd like to just
> > mention this Ubuntu page:
> >   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NoMoreSourcePackages
>
> The premise of this document is source packages are evil because they
> can be injected in the buildsys without being traced in the scm.
>
> The Fedora way to inject a source package in koji is cvs-import which
> *will* trace changes in our SCM.
>
> So the whole argument does not really apply to Fedora. We can both use
> source packages (as the ubuntu document rightly notes that's a very
> natural thing to do) and trace changes.

Absolutely -- they have different reasons for wanting this than we do.

Our reasons are:
1) Better able to work with upstream
2) Better able to rebase our local changes.
3) Better able to see how our changes have been modified over time.

However, the solution they arrive at is similar to what we want.  That's
why looking at it is good.

-Toshio