RFR: GIT Package VCS

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Jun 7 18:39:45 UTC 2007

On Thursday 07 June 2007 14:27:35 Bill Nottingham wrote:
> The question is... how much does working in an exploded tree push you
> towards less incentive to get a set of patches and changes upstream.
>
> Heck, we could just work in exploded source and start claiming we *are*
> the upstream...

We have to do it in a way that makes the exploaded tree useful for managing
your CHANGES to that exploaded tree.  We don't let the sourcerpm passed into
the buildsystem be of a modified tarball, we continue to force it to be the
unmodified upstream tarball plus the patches that you've been managing with
the exploaded tree applied to it.  This continues to enforce the patches are
valid to a known release, allows you to use exploaded tree to manage the
patches, gives upstream a place to cherry pick changes from, or old style
patch files to deal with.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora