Fedora 8 ideas

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Jun 7 22:54:48 UTC 2007

Goede, J.W.R. de wrote:

> 3 plugin buddy
> ==============
>
> Like codec buddy, but then for firefox plugins. Why?
> because firefox plugin find service doesn't undserstand to
> install nspluginwrapper (needs to get into Fedora) and then
> flash on x86_64. Nor knows it to change the selinux type of
> realplayer to get it to work with our default enabled
> selinux policy.

This is why I hate programs like Firefox and Thunderbird
that come their own custom package system.

No matter how cool Firefox plugins are, if all programs
did such things, Linux systems would become as maintainable
and robust as Windows.

We could kill off Firefox's plugin system and package
useful plugins as RPMs instead.  Not to say anything
about the custom localization system.

Maybe this is material for a different flame, but who
likes Firefox's and Thunderbird's own implementations
of keyring, with different passwords and interfaces?
And what about the custom filetype associations?

--
   // Bernardo Innocenti
 \X/  http://www.codewiz.org/