fedora for ARM

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Fri Jun 8 19:19:08 UTC 2007

Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> Are they? First you need a cross-gcc, you can't build it without libc
> or magic tricks like -Dinhibit_libc. For big-endian ARM, you have to
> modify gcc because otherwise it won't generate normal (non-kernel) BE
> code (you need BE gcc lib, but I don't recomment multilib BE/LE gcc
> either).

Sure, a cross compiler is a pre-requisite to cross compiling :-)
Binutils too.  If you have old versions of packages such as glibc (and
anything else that requires headers or libraries) you can drop them into
a sys-root which the cross-tools use when compiling/linking.  Generally
you will need one cross compiler per supported arch.

> bash... can you cross-compile bash at all? Not sure about current
> situation (my box can run ARM programs as well and configure thinks
> it's native) but ~ 2 years ago it was impossible without much
> handcraft.

Bash needs a little work.  It's not a beast like perl, though.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com