RFR: GIT Package VCS

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Sun Jun 10 03:09:40 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Friday 08 June 2007 07:42:04 Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > ??? -> archive + patches -> exploded tree (exploded tree as a way to
> > export data) can probably be done easily
> >
> > ???? -> exploded tree -> archive + patches OTOH hand is a dangerous
> > can of worms
>
> I'm not following.  In my scenario the exploaded tree is used only for patch
> management and for interacting with upstream when possible/acceptable.  What
> goes into the buildsystem would continue to be prestine upstream tarball
> unmodified + spec + patches from patch management to make an srpm.  Patches
> still get applied in the rpmbuild task.

You lost me here. If I am futzing around with the foo package, I'll have
checked out sources /here/ and work against that. Perhaps I'll be
following its upstream SCM, but that loses WRT pristine source tarball
(exported version of today's changes, or even of tag 1.2.3, won't be
exactly the released tarball foo-1.2.3.tar.bz2), so tracking all this
centrally doesn't make much sense to me. Sure, tracking the tarballs
making up any released RPMs is a must, otherwise I don't see the point.