Improving availability and guaranteeing integrity in ISO - internal sha1sums

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sun Jun 10 04:37:28 UTC 2007

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le samedi 09 juin 2007 à 12:20 +1000, David Timms a écrit :
>
>> The simplest way to do this would be for the iso spin system to perform
>> an sha1sum * > SHA1SUM within each directory of an iso spin, and have
>> each result inserted into the corresponding directory.
>
> 1. you don't want many scattered checksum files, you want one file for
> the whole disk, so users can find/filter it easily (use find to get a
> recursive file list, sort/filter, checksum it)
That would be nice, but the standard tools don't do this AFAIK ? {no
recursive option ?}

> 2. burn apps suchs as brasero/k3b? already generete this file if asked
> (using md5 which is IMHO a mistake today)
It is done as far as I understand for the whole image {perhaps excluding
  the header where this gets embedded ?}.

> 3. you want this checksum file signed
Yes. This would already be done by the checksum process that is already
in place - signed sha1sum of the whole .iso file, published along side
the iso file.

DaveT.