apt-proxy for yum? (Re: The updates firehose)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Jun 10 10:23:42 UTC 2007

On 10.06.2007 03:31, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 04:41:12PM -0400, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
>> Christopher Blizzard wrote:
>>
>>> Are people complaining?
>> I don't complain when it happens with my own computer that's
>> being updated daily... but it's painful when you update a
>> dozen of desktops in the office to F7 and all them want to
>> download 500MB worth of updates the first time they boot.
>>
>> Yes, I could use a local Fedora mirror.  And, in fact,
>> I do.  But then I'd have to customize the yum config on
>> all clients to go look there.
>
> You can add your local private mirror to mirrormanager, add a netblock
> that covers your address space, and all your clients will then pull
> from your local mirror rather than public mirrors, with no change on
> the clients.
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mirrormanager
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring

Nice solution.

But as a side note to that: I in fact had a local update mirror for Core
in the past, but with the Core and Extras merge I don't have one, as the
space and download requirements drastically increased. So much that
having a local mirror is not worth the trouble if you don't have more
then 10 (?) machines with Fedora afaics. So in this regard the merge
made things worse for me.

What I'd like to have these days is a kind transparent apt-proxy (
http://apt-proxy.sourceforge.net/ ) for yum, that keeps packages in a cache.

Sure, squid can help with that, but a more intelligent solution (package
still in the repo? only one ppc machine in the network, so don't cache
ppc download, ...; package part of standard-install, so keep in in the
cache if possible) could do a whole lot better.

CU
thl