To Require yelp or not to require yelp

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sun Jun 10 12:19:46 UTC 2007

On Sunday 10 June 2007 08:10:10 Matej Cepl wrote:
> IMHO, the problem is that our system doesn't have Debianish
> Recommends: and Suggests: soft dependencies. In my ideal world
> yum would say not only that package yum will be removed, but also
> that functionality of all these packages (list of 96 packages)
> will be affected, because yum would know that yelp is recommended
> by all those packages.  See
> <http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html>
> for definitions of these relationships.
>
> And yes I know it is hopeless to suggest any change in rpm, so we
> are stuck in this far-from-ideal world.

How does yum/rpm know what functionality yelp provides to these packages?  Do
we then have to list in the Requires (and auto requires?!) what each required
package does for a given package?  Even if the user saw that this would
remove yelp from all the packages, and he said yes anyway, how does that get
yelp back for them in your firefox-32 scenario?

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora