The updates firehose

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Sun Jun 10 15:26:34 UTC 2007

On So Juni 10 2007, Christopher Aillon wrote:

> I think the ugpradeability is a factor, but I think you've got it wrong.
>   If every time someone built a change into rawhide, they also pushed a
> fix to F-7 for example because there's a new version of <insert popular
> app here>, then what's the point in upgrading to F-8 when that's ready?

Holding back updates only to make a new release interesting is not a good
reason imho. But there are sometimes technical reasons, why updates are done
from one release to another. The other way round, when bugs are not fixed
with a new update in a current release but left open until the release is end
of life is much more annoying imho and causes me more problems than often
updates.

> Most extras packages have the same version across the board.  I
> understand the pros of doing that, but do we really want to turn each
> Fedora release into the next RHL 7.3?

What was the property of RHL 7.3 you are refering to? I did not use Redhat
then, so I do not know.

Regards,
Till