The updates firehose

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Jun 10 23:38:41 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 16:05 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> Anybody else think we're issuing entirely /way/ too many updates?
No.

>   We've had
> 138 "stable" updates, and 177 current "testing" updates.  If all those were
> to go stable, we're talking over 300 updates, in just over a week.
Yes, and ... IMO, this is expected and not unusual.

> Seriously.  We're drowning our users in updates.
You aren't, because users will only receive those updated packages they
have install.

>  Are all of them really
> necessary?  I feel like we've got this culture of update whatever/whenever
> coming from Extras where it was just fire and forget.  While that might be
> fun for the maintainer, is it fun for the user?
It's partially a consequence of a "release early/release often policy",
which applied to released packages means "release once a bug is fixed".

Though you repeatedly have stated not to be wanting to accept this kind
of policy, it is the policy which many people (comprising me) consider
the only viable release policy.

>   Is it fun for the user with a slow connection?
Is Fedora usable for users with slow connections? No, it has never been
and has always required tricks.

Ralf