The updates firehose - major updates breaking

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon Jun 11 05:12:34 UTC 2007

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 01:06:39 +0000 (UTC), Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> The many updates are really Fedora's strength,
>
> ... and also one of its weaknesses, since the users don't like it at all
> if an update breaks something.

.. and it's not clear if anyone is interested in hearing about such
breakages, or doing anything about them.

For example, 'pan' newsreader broke back in 2006.  It was upgraded
from 'stable' train to 'beta'.  Unfortunately, the group configuration
is incompatible and you'd need to redo your newsgroups to use it.
Neither upstream or the Fedora Extras maintainer has responded to my
complaints.  I suggested that either there needs to be a better
transition path, or the new pan should be shipped as 'pan2' or
something else that won't obsolete the old one.  The package is still
broken in this respect.