The updates firehose

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Mon Jun 11 15:56:21 UTC 2007

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 11:46 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> I also consider this a bug.  It winds up pulling metacity-devel onto a user's
>> system when they try to install something that requires metacity.  Then all
>> the depchain of metacity-devel is pulled in as well.

Fortunately, not many things require metacity, and chances are that the
user isn't going to install it post facto since we install firstboot by
default which has an explicit metacity requirement.

> Doesn't rpm's grandiose shortest-name-wins rule save us there ?

Not quite sure, there may be a bug.  I accidentally had
firefox-debuginfo providing gecko-devel (along with firefox-devel) and
firefox-devel won all of the time in brew.  As soon as we switched to
koji, -debuginfo started to win half the time which is when I noticed
the error.  Could be that we switched around the time we got a new rpm
that broke this behavior, I didn't investigate too far...