The updates firehose

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Mon Jun 11 21:19:35 UTC 2007

At 3:34 PM +0200 6/11/07, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>Le Lun 11 juin 2007 15:06, Matt Domsch a écrit :
>
>> Mirrormanager just returns a yum mirrorlist, which is updated hourly,
>> and is very fast to return (under 0.5s almost all the time).
>
>And this kills proxies as the systems behind a proxy will switch from
>a mirror already cached by the proxy to another one potentially every
>hour. Proxies want a static mirrorlist or a mirrorlist they can cache.
>(using a mirrorlist URL with parameters is probably sufficient to make
>it uncacheable, better static URLs with mod_rewrite or something
>similar behind to translate them in hidden requests)

Would my StableMirror yum plugin help?  It uses the same mirror each time
as long as that mirror was offered (and it does other things too).  It's
main idea could certainly be added to yum.  StableMirror isn't updated for
F7 yet (I assume it will need an update).
<http://georgeaneldon.com/stablemirror.htm>