Fedora and Cross Compiling

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Mon Jun 11 21:27:33 UTC 2007

Oliver Falk wrote:
>> Reliable?  Sure.  But there are problems unique to cross compiling which
>> must be addressed.  You don't want to pull in a host-header instead of a
>> target-header.
>
> Issue number 1.

It's a pretty rare issue these days.  You have to provide an absolute
pathname, which is always frowned upon.  Further, if you cross-build in
a chroot, it's a non-issue.

>> You also can't run the resulting executables so
>> post-build testsuites can't be run.
>
> Issue number 2.

Yep- but only relevant for a small set of packages.

> OK. That might be true for gcc, but how about gcj? Or other compilers?
> I'm also thinking about python that emits byte-code. Is this code
> machine independent? I'm not sure; Could google or read, but just want
> to mention....

Gcj?!  Er, no problem there...

I'm sure there could be some Python issues (We have not had to tackle
that one).  When we start implementing a cross compile feature, we would
naturally would take on the easy and critical packages first.  Python
could come later.

> Yes, cross compilation is an interesting; At least for me and I would be
> happy to be a bit involved; You never stop learning...

Great!

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com