Fedora Rel-Eng Meeting Recap 2007-JUN-11

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 12 15:49:14 UTC 2007

John Poelstra wrote:

> == Early Torrent Release - Rahul Sundaram ==
>  * explore possibility of doing early torrent releases.
>  * See IRC log for discussion of pros and cons and affect on mirrors
> Decision: Investigate with Infrastructure team ways of getting more
> mirrors to participate in seeding the torrent (early?).  Do not release
> torrent to general public before the agreed upon coordinated release
> date/time.

Seeding the torrent early solves one part of the problem (ie) the
torrent being initially slow but the disadvantages isn't clear to me
reading the IRC conversations.

1) Mirrors allegedly have a problem:

What exactly are they complaining about?

2) It only makes the torrent available 4 days earlier:

I don't see how
this is a disadvantage. We have the bits available ready and the first
few days rush and resulting infrastructure issues will certainly be
reduced by encouraging the usage of the torrent as soon as the bits are
ready to be mirrored. So when you open up the ISO images to the mirrors
make it available in the torrent.

3) We are "breaking" a coordinated release and users will get confused:

If we make a announcement clearly saying that it is a early torrent
release and other ftp/http mirrors will be available when the images are
synced 4 days later then the confusion should be minimum or non-existent.

> Decision: Recommend to FESCo policy that upgrade path never be
> compromised either by removing builds or NEVR regressions.  File RFE in
> Koji to enforce rule at build time

Thank you. This alone will make a big difference to providing a good
upgrade path from older releases or testing in rawhide.

Rahul