To Require yelp or not to require yelp

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 16:10:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 03:56 -0400, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Bernardo Innocenti (bernie at codewiz.org) said:
> >> So, online help is *clearly* an optional desktop feature.  People
> >> using systems with limited disk space, like the OLPC users, will
> >> want to remove it.
> >
> > So, then, every package should package *-help separately,
> > and if you want to actually have online help, you need to become
> > superuser and install it?  That's a horrible user experience.
>
> I have not suggested packaging the help files separately.
> It's easy to avoid installing them with --excludedocs anyway.

This shouldn't be true.  If it is true for an app then it's a bug that
needs to be filed against the app.

The reason is that having online help files excluded when using
--excludedocs breaks runtime functionality (ie: The help menu).
Excluding man pages, README, and other files that are not part of the
runtime behaviour of the app is okay.

In this light, Help is not optional.  yelp is optional (_if_ there's
something to replace it), help is not.

-Toshio