Fedora Rel-Eng Meeting Recap 2007-JUN-11

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 12 16:59:28 UTC 2007

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram (sundaram at fedoraproject.org) said:
>>> You're not doing this *before they get a chance to help*, effectively
>>> saying they're a second class delivery method for their users. What's
>>> the point of them mirroring for their users if their users are going
>>> to use their bandwidth to try and jump on a torrent earlier?
>> I don't know what you mean by "their users" but if it is say a
>> university then they can make it available in their LAN when they have
>> the bits and not to the entire world for initial few days before the
>> announcement.
>>
>>  What? You're expecting every mirror to reconfigure special access rules
>>> based on IP ranges or domain names just because you want to torrent ISOs
>>> early? How is that at all practical or sensible?
>> You misunderstood.  See above.
>
> No, I didn't. That comment still applies *exactly the same*. And if you
> don't understand that, I'm not sure why I'm having this discussion.

I don't understand your point. Setting up local access without giving
world access is pretty simple for any well configured LAN. Every major
organization already has such access rules setup for stuff they don't
want the world to know. We aren't forcing everyone to do that. If they
want to give their users a local mirror that's a choice for them. How is
that *not sensible*?

Rahul