For your consideration: Secondary Architectures in Fedora

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Jun 12 22:00:37 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 13:35 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 6/12/07, Christopher Blizzard <blizzard at redhat.com> wrote:
> > PPC is the fastest canary in the cage, if you will. :)
>
> no its not... the builders are sooooo damn slow. I hate it... ppc
> builders are such a tease.

I've never quite understood why they seem so slow. When I build stuff
locally on a quad G5 @2.5GHz with 7GiB of RAM, it goes a lot quicker
than _all_ our build machines do.

> You see your package burn through x86 and x86_64 and then boom it
> falls over and dies on ppc after everything else has gone swimmingly.

Well, if it _fails_ that's likely to be generic problem which you need
to deal with anyway. If it _succeeds_ then can't you get the builds from
koji as soon as they're finished on each architecture? They take another
day or so to hit the mirrors _anyway_, so presumably it's not _that_
delay you care about.

--
dwmw2