Fedora and Cross Compiling

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Jun 13 09:00:19 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 09:11 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>
>> I keep seeing my name mentioned here, but unfortunately I'm receiving little
>> feedback on my arm-gp2x-linux review tickets. Which is a bit of a shame as I
>> spend a lot of time on getting gcc for linux+glibc to build and install inside
>> a buildroot and getting this right, as is needed for proper rpm / mock
>> building. Luckily I eventually found that Mandrake is already doing cross
>> building of most of the distro, and their gcc comes with a patch to make
>> --with-build-sysroot work for this.
>>
>> So does the lack of feedback mean that my SPECS are good? Or do people just not
>> have the time to look at / review them?
> Wrt. me it's more the latter.
>
> More precisely, unlike with your avr-toolchain (which I reviewed/am
> reviewing), which resemble very much to my toolchains (i.e. I knew about
> potential issues in advance), I am not familiar with glibc's details.

I understand, thanks for the clarification.

> A detail inside of your specs causing me head-ache is the "bootstrap"
> stuff. I am not yet convinced this to be "the right thing(tm)".

Afaik when it comes to linux-glibc details its the only way, notice that
bootstrap=1 will be needed only once, but I though it would be good to have
configurable in the spec, becaue maybe oneday with a new binutils /glibc it
might be a good idea to redo from start.

Regards,

Hans