F8devel - user configuration storage locations

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 23:46:51 UTC 2007

On 6/13/07, David Timms <dtimms at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> A potential goal for Fedora:
> Cleanup user settings configuration
>
> For a long time applications creates a {hidden} .mysetting file in the
> user's home directory, if multiple config/settings under a
> .myapp/.various files.

I would hate this

> I think this should be tidied up by creating a single directory at the
> users home folder to store all setting/configs that apps make.
> - The folder should not be hidden.

I would hate this even more

> - It should have a default text file indicating that it contains hidden
> files that store settings for installed applications.

why?

> - It should be well named: configuration | config | application_config ?

seems unnecessary

> - All packages to use this folder

good luck with that

> I see some problems:
> - breaks FHStandard ?
> - every app would need to have a one time adjustment and package rebuilt ?

You make that sound trivial

> Some advantages:
> - not mixing user data folders and application config in the same top
> level {user home} folder.

I guess that's based on your point of view. These are user specific
configurations, which I consider to be part of my user data

> - less files to read / show / search when apps ask for the home dir file
> list

I'm sorry if Gnome's dialog shows you everything by default, but some
of us use KDE, and it doesn't do that, so that's a non-issue

> - easily move/copy all user configs to backup or a different machine

cp -a ~/.*

> DaveT.
>
> --

Fedora Core 6 and proud