Fedora and Cross Compiling

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Thu Jun 14 17:53:41 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Not quite. You end up with the target's sys-root's files ("target
> binaries", blobs of arbitrary binary data) inside of a "noarch" rpm.

Er, if you're building an arm-linux toolchain and store the sysroot in a
noarch rpm, that's still wrong arch :-)  Not *as* wrong as having it in
an RPM for the build host's arch, but not as right as having it for the
target arch.

> Well, IMO this plan is not useful and doesn't fit into the working
> principles of rpm, because it confuses host architecture with target
> architecture.

Eh?

> What I could envision to be made functional is a wrapper around rpm,
> using another "per-cross-target" rpmdb to add native target rpms into
> sys-roots.

If I understand you correctly, that sounds about right.  When cross
building you need to pull in a mixture of native (host-arch) and cross
(target arch) packages to meet the build dependencies.  This is part of
where the "fun" is.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com