RFR: GIT Package VCS

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jun 15 04:58:37 UTC 2007

Karel Zak <kzak <at> redhat.com> writes:
> The problem is that the method we use today doesn't support anything
> like rediffing. The "rediff 1-2" is nightmare with rpmbuild +
> gendiff.

I don't even use gendiff, the way I rediff patches is that I just untar the
upstream tarball, make a second copy of the directory, apply the patches, fix
the rejects, then run diff -Nur. :-)

However, that'd be a pain for something like the kernel where I'd first have to
apply the hundreds of previous patches to make sure I rediff against the source
the patch actually has to apply to. Luckily, I don't have to deal with a
package with that many patches. If I did, I'd probably pick the "one big
patchset" approach I'm using for TIGCC's heavily-patched GCC, which is ideal
when working this way.

        Kevin Kofler