Root filesystem encryption update

Thomas Swan thomas.swan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 08:11:15 UTC 2007

Here's another go.

This patch applies to the current mkinitrd SRPM set (except the
mkinitrd.spec file) and the patched mkinitrd package is available via yum at
<http://www.cygnetech.com/linux/repos/>

I incorporated the feedback I have received and have changed the patches to
use options stored in /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd.

I have one option in development that will let you boot and reference the
root filesystem by UUID, but it's not finished yet.  The current
developmental UUID hack relies on bash and find included in the initrd
image, but I want a static binary or cryptsetup patch.

I'm also exploring creating some screens for anaconda, but that's a steep
learning curve.

Should encryption be an option on the disk partition option or an option to
pick the type of installation right after the greeting?