Official presto repositories for Rawhide

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Jun 19 01:19:19 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 00:40 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 06:11:47PM -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > The question is where in the process does it make sense to generate
> > the deltas.  Do we do them in the build system (the koji level)?  Do
> > we do them in the update system?[1] Do we do them at tree compose
> > (mash) time?  Each has tradeoffs... not sure which is really the
> > best.
>
> The problme domain are the limited bandwidth of end users, so you want
> it to run on what end users consume. This can be different for
> released versions vs rawhide, but in general released versions would
> only perform this on updates-released (not updates-testing) and
> for rawhide on everything.

Yeah, it's easy to see that deltas for -updates and -updates-testing[1]
from the release and probably the last update make sense[2].  rawhide is
definitely the trickier to figure out where to draw the line.

The more I think about it, the more I think we want it integrated kind
of similar to how the signing works -- koji plays a role but is driven
with external info to know what to create deltas for.  The deltas are
then associated with a given nevra of a package and stored along side
them.  Then, when we mash a tree (be it updates or rawhide), there's
policy to get the appropriate deltas given the policy and koji generates
them behind the scenes if needed.

Jeremy

[1] Arguably, the answer is to do deltas for foo-1 -> foo-2, foo-2 ->
foo-3, foo-3 -> foo-4 and foo-1 -> foo-4.  The last can be generated
from just combining the earlier three for convenience of the entirely
not updated user.