Official presto repositories for Rawhide

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 09:00:51 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 07:36 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > Yeah, it's easy to see that deltas for -updates and -updates-testing[1]
>
> Actually not updates-testing for two reasons:
>
> a) it is and will not really ever become a bandwidth critical area,
>    since only very few people (in relation to updates-released) will
>    be using it, and the bandwidth limited will certainly not be on the
>    top list for other reasons.
I totally see what you're saying, but I am on very limited bandwidth and
I would love to be able to use updates-testing.

> b) updates-testing may contain parts that will be doomed as
>    unreleasable (that's why we have a testing stage at all). Having
>    all deltas makes it possible for the user to resurrect all old
>    releases including the broken ones. So when a user may think he
>    downgrades to a previous stable release he may be downgrading to an
>    updates-testing one.
I'm not sure what you mean by resurrecting all old releases.  Deltarpms
can only go in one direction (unlike diffs), and yum-presto saves the
final rpm in the same location yum would
(i.e. /var/cache/yum/updates-testing/packages for updates-testing).

> b) can be handled by not inheriting the deltas from updates-testing, of
> course, but one needs to be aware of that. E.g. while updates-testing
> may have foo-1 -> 2 -> 3 -> ..., updates-released will have foo-1 -> 3
> -> 7 etc.
<snip>

Jonathan