586 kernels.

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Thu Jun 21 23:27:29 UTC 2007

At 5:09 PM -0400 6/21/07, Alan Cox wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 11:16:00AM -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>> >That surely is something for the Fedora Board to decide ?
>>
>> decide what? who I talk to for confirmation if a decision is made for
>> F8?  Since the bits that dave twiddles is directly affected by
>
>Whether FC8 should have support for older processors or not. This isn't
>just the kernel but several other packages - glibc, openssl that would
>want to either be fixed along with rpm or converted to 686 only.
>
>It also I believe has fallout for OLPC ?

Dave Jones proposes shipping a single kernel that works with all 686
machines, both the ones Fedora calls 686 and the ones Fedora calls 586,
rather than having two separate kernels.  There is an issue with a hack in
RPM that makes shipping a single kernel a bit annoying, and he asked what
to do about it.  Jeff Spaleta asked Dave Jones to keep him posted, as Jeff
needs to make packaging decisions based on what Dave eventually calls the
kernel.

At 8:39 AM -0800 6/21/07, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>On a more personal note, I've been using 586 fc6 installs locally to
>help me prep LTSP packages for submission to fedora. If you don't
>mind, I'm going to ping you offlist before I'm ready to submit to make
>sure I know if 586 is going to be dropped or not to make sure the
>packages I finally submit have the necessary default script logic for
>whatever fedora ships.

Note that Jeff expects that the kernel will work for LTSP.

If you have machines that require a 586 kernel you should ask Dave for one
of his new kernels and see if it works on them.  If it doesn't work because
of how it was compiled, you should tell him.  Currently you are panicking
without any evidence that you will have any issue at all.