portage vs yum

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 21:10:57 UTC 2007

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:05:54 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:

> In my opinion the real difference regarding packaging is that the gentoo
> ebuilds are much simpler than the specfiles because:
>
> * there is no package split in gentoo * gento follows upstream even more
> closely than fedora, there is no
>   real integration
>
> The result is that it is certainly much easier to write ebuilds, that
> certainly explains for a part why there are more packages. The number of
> packagers and the time they dedicate to building packages would be the
> other parameter. These are numbers that is not easily found.

Thanks for all the responses, they're quite informative :)

Bottom line is that I'd like to see a system which has more packages for
the reasons described above.  In my experience with portage, I could
remove packages easily (although I don't know what actually happened
behind the scenes).

I'd like to see Fedora consider some form of portage because that would,
hopefully, increase the number of packages.  All other things being
equal, ebuilds are, apparently, easier to write.

-Thufir