portage vs yum

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Jun 27 22:37:57 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 12:01:38AM +0200, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 11:14:47PM +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > What happens is that gentoo ebuilds are written with less care to
> > integration than fedora specfiles, that whats make them easier to
> > write in my opinion.
>
> Oh puh-leeze.  "Fedora has less packages than Gentoo because the
> gentoo developers do a crappy job" is kindergarden-level

Less integration doesn't mean "crappy job", nor is it necessarily
inferior. It is just another choice.

> justification.  I use both gentoo and fedora on a regular basis and
> they're both integrated, only differently.

Of course it depends on what you mean by 'integration'. In gentoo
ebuilds there are less change/additions to upstream than in fedora.

> How many packages are
> available is a function of:
>
> - infrastructure capability (a source distribution does not need a
>   compile cluster)
>
> - developers responsiveness (reviewing, QA, ...)
>
> - apparent ease of adding new packages for new potential contributors
>
> If you want more packages in Fedora (which is not a given), act on
> these points and especially the last two.

There are certainly also many other determinants to the number of
packages available. But without looking at the reasons why there is
a given number of packages, it is roughly:
time to do a package * number of packager * time devoted per packager
(the three terms are correlated, and the first one depends on the
package so that's not a simple mean).

--
Pat