portage vs yum

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Wed Jun 27 23:39:14 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 10:46:42PM +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Olivier Galibert <galibert <at> pobox.com> writes:
> > Because you often do not want to do it immediatly after the specific
> > update that changed the library.
>
> You want broken apps instead?!

Please re-engage your brain.  I usually update all the *other*
applications and libraries that need to be compiled because of a new
version and *then* I ask revdep-rebuild to recompile what is still
broken.  revdep-rebuild always recompiles the same version than what
is currently installed, not the most up-to-date available one.

> > The main advantage of gentoo over fedora is the continuous upgrade
> > path.  You do not need to reinstall everything from scratch every 6
> > months just to keep up-to-date.
>
> You don't need to do that with Fedora either, that's what Anaconda's upgrade
> mode is for. You can even upgrade with yum or apt (not really supported
> though).

Everything is in that "not really supported though".  I'm not too
enthusiastic about having to go in front of and reboot the 200+
computers we manage one by one with a usb key just to run anaconda
upgrade.

Someday, maybe, anaconda will be able to do an install/upgrade from a
running installation.  Not sure it's anywhere in the plans though.  Is
the code to test if the pid is not too high still there?  Meanwhile,
I've already done complete gentoo installations in a chroot of a
mounted external usb disk, which worked beautifully once installed in
the recieving laptop.  That were painless HD upgrades.

  OG.