Doing away with 'groups' repo in mock

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Jun 28 19:15:27 UTC 2007

> Currently mock configs make use of a 'groups' repo to provide
> a 'buildsys-build' meta-package.  This meta-package has a set of Requires:
> that are used to create the 'minimal buildroot' mock uses to start builds.
> This repo also provides a 'buildsys-macros' package.  Historically this
> package would define things like the %dist tag and post-build actions.
>
> Today, in rawhide, fedora-release provides the %dist like macro definitions.
> The post-build definition can be moved to redhat-rpm-config as well.  This
> would obviate the need for buildsys-macros.  That would just leave the
> meta-package to populate the buildroot.
>
> Since mock supports installing a group rather than a (meta)package, I propose
> we define the buildsys-build group in the comps group directly.  This would
> obviate the need for a single point of failure within mock building,
> the 'groups' repo.

ISTR that we were populating the mock buildroot by installing a
comps.xml group before, and then we switched to a meta-package[1].  In
fact, you (Jesse) were in favor of the idea[2].  What's changed in the
last year that you'd like to go *back* to using comps.xml and
groupinstall?

I'm in favor of eliminating the groups repo and hosting the
buildsys-build RPM in the regular package CVS & mirrors but I'm not in
favor of going back to using comps.xml groups unless there's a good
explanation of why we should switch back...

[1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-buildsys-list/2006-March/msg00016.html
[2] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-buildsys-list/2006-March/msg00022.html

Jeff