koji.fedoraproject.org Unplanned outage | 6/28/07 - 6:00PM EDT

Jeff MacDonald jam at zoidtechnologies.com
Fri Jun 29 15:10:00 UTC 2007

On Friday 29 June 2007 10:57 am, Till Maas wrote:
> On Fr Juni 29 2007, Jeff MacDonald wrote:
> > because not everybody knows what UTC/GMT is, and using it alone will just
> > cause further confusion.. if, however, one can see that UTC is a few
> > hours off of US/Eastern, things might go better. :)
>
> I do not know, what EDT is, either. But I know the offset of my local time
> to UTC.

EDT is "US/Eastern Daylight Time". I should have worded the original reply a
bit differently.. not all *Americans* know what UTC/GMT is.. I'm odd because
I worked for ans.net for a while, and we did a lot of things using UTC.

there's been some replies to this thread showing an easy way to convert to
local time (assuming the machine is configured correctly), so I'm ok with the
template that was created that uses UTC.

> > at the moment it sounds like the outage notification is being generated
> > by hand, so listing the two different time zones will take a little extra
> > work.. however, if the process is automated, it will be trivial to make a
>
> Maybe it is enough to mention the offset of EDT to UTC, so everyone in EDT
> can see what he has to calculate.

that works for me.

> Even with UTC I still have to convert the time to CEST, but UTC is imho a
> fair common timezone.

which is why I thought it best to list UTC *and* local time to the equipment
in question so that it would be easy for the vast majority of users to figure
out what happened and when.

> Regards,
> Till

regards,