For your consideration: Secondary Architectures in Fedora

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Jun 1 01:15:10 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 18:39 -0600, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> > but even 8way UltraII is horribly slow).  So for secondary arches
> > we really need async builds instead of sync builds.
>
> Or cross builds.  It would *really* make bootstrapping a new
> architecture easier if we had this ability.

It's hard. When I tried cross-building for ARM and SH a long time ago, I
ran into many problems, mostly with autotools.

Something like scratchbox¹ might help, but I'm entirely unsure that I'd
want to trust it to build the whole distribution for release. It doesn't
help much that qemu's userspace emulation doesn't handle NPTL yet²
(although I did get it sort of working a few months back to get the
flash plugin running in nspluginwrapper in qemu-i386).

The only really reliable solution I see would be full-system emulation.
Which isn't always much faster than the real hardware, unfortunately.

--
dwmw2

¹ http://scratchbox.org/
² Actually, do we support NPTL on ARM at all yet?