Don't put new packages through updates-testing

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Jun 1 15:06:44 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> Please respond to this very imporant point!
>
> Adding that step in the wiki can be done by anyone and addition to help
> improve quality are a good thing.

You know very well that I was not talking about the adding to the wiki, but
about the to large number of steps needed to get a package in.

>> 1) There will be no wide audience, even if they have updates-testing
>> enabled they will not automatically install the new packages let alone
>> use it,
>
> If the package has a small audience then surely it can wait for a
> limited timeout in updates-testing

I'm not saying it has a small audience (it might) I'm saying that the
cross-section of potential users and those with updates-testing enabled is most
likely small.

And for some reason nobody is responding to my point that when in
updates-testing a package cannot be in comps and thus is invisible to those
using the tools we advice them to use!

>> Repeating myself, then first get such a QA time organized up and
>> running and then, and only then, make updates-testing mandatory, if I
>> get usefull feedback from this, you've won me over.
>
> If QA can be bypassed then that reduces the incentive to form the team
> in the first place.

I'm not saying QA should be bypassed, I'm saying that delaying packages for a
week to allow testing by a non existent team is silly.

>> Not true many reviewers review on the latest stable, it says nowhere
>> that a review should be done on rawhide.
>
> Review is about guidelines and nowhere in the guideline does it even say
> that the fucntionality of the package should be tested. When I suggested
> that it be added I got back a knee jerk reaction to participate in
> reviews myself.

Maybe that reaction was solicited because it seems that those making the rules
seem to be disconnected from those doing the work? A typical case of manager
syndrome.

>> All I'm asking for is to leaving this to the packagers discretion,
>> isn't Fedora supposed to be all about freedom? Then why put me in a
>> straight jacket.
>
> It is not all about freedom though. There are several other factors that
> influence a decision.

Factors such as? I thought freedom was the great good which we are all working for.

Regards,

Hans