Feature idea: package an installer image as a grub entry before F8. Was [ Re: Very much packages with fc6 tag instead of fc7 in the FC7 tree ]

Benjamin Lewis ben.lewis at benl.co.uk
Fri Jun 1 17:25:22 UTC 2007

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 6/1/07, Christopher Aillon <caillon at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Actually, many people do network installs.  I have no DVD burner so the
>> DVD ISO does me no good.  So I downloaded the boot.iso to load up
>> anaconda, and pointed the installer at the right places on the network.
>>   Much less downloading as you only update what you need.
>
> For people who do network based upgrades/re-installs......
> would it be feasible, and appropriate to provide a package in the F7
> repo which contained the F8 installer image as a grub entry for an F7
> system at the time of F8 release. So people could install that and
> reboot into the installer via their grub menu and do an upgrade via
> the installer.. instead of being tempted to do a live upgrade just
> with yum. Clever monkeys can do this manually now with some effort to
> pull the installer image from the iso. The question is, does it make
> sense to make this easier for the general userbase and provide a
> package in a timely manner into F7 for the F8 release?
>
> -jef
I kind of like this as an idea! My only concern is that people will use
this to do ftp installs off the mirrors - which is a bad as yum really.

--

Benjamin Lewis
Fedora Ambassador
ben.lewis at benl.co.uk

http://benl.co.uk./                                 PGP Key: 0x647E480C

"In cases of major discrepancy, it is always reality that got it wrong"
                                                        -- RFC 1118