Fedora 8 Schedule

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 00:07:08 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-02 at 02:33 +0300, Pekka Pietikainen wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 10:58:07PM +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> > I hear KDE 4.1 is aimed at being a 6 month release, this would then mean
> > we align nicely for a F9 with KDE4 and GNOME 2.22. That would accomplice
> > the goal of adjusting the schedule which was aimed for rather nicely..
> > provided neither projects slips their release date.
> Why does the KDE spin have to be released at the same time as the general
> GNOME-oriented release?

The reason is that the distro as a whole has a release at that time, not
just The GNOME spin or KDE spin, Server Spin, or etc.  So if we ship
KDE3 as part of the distro wide release we probably don't want to ship
KDE4 as an update... at least, not without having kde3 compatibility
packages which Rex and Kevin think will be a fair amount of work.

Could we decide that our next release will revolve around spins instead
of a distro-wide freeze?  Yes, but I don't think it's a realistic goal
for five months from now.  We'd probably want to change the way we do
branching of cvs for releases and tagging of packages so that each spin
could have a different release tree if the need to make changes arose.
But we'd still need to have changes pushed back to a "mainline" so we
didn't have twenty different forks of Fedora, just temporary deviations
for when a spin was freezing for release.  We'd also have to figure out
how to make sane bugzilla components for these things, decide how to
manage EOL issues for different spins, come up with a way for updates to
target different spins, etc.  All in all, it would be a huge set of
changes to the way we build Fedora and we should carefully weigh the
benefits before deciding we want to do the work to make it a reality.

-Toshio