proposal: new guidelines for rule makers

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jun 2 08:34:28 UTC 2007

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> <humor, with a serious undertone>
>
> Since those making packaging guidelines and other rules seem to be out
> of touch with the workfloor these days I would like to propose the
> following guideline for rulemakers:
>
> Those making guidelines / rules within the Fedora project must actively
> maintain atleast 30 packages.
>
> Rationale: How can one make rules if one isn't involved in that which is
> regulated oneself?
>
> </humor>

Packaging guidelines also cover licensing details which isn't connected
to workflow.  There are several other policies within the guidelines
which involve some amount of politics (kernel modules anyone?). This
rule would mean that everybody who proposes any drafts, folks in the
packaging committee and FESCo would have to maintain 30 packages.

Rahul