Don't put new packages through updates-testing

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Jun 2 09:01:43 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-02 at 10:22 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Patrice Dumas wrote:s

> >> I suggested that it the "SHOULD" be changed to "MUST". A package that
> >> doesnt even start shouldnt be getting past reviews.
> >
> > For simple applications, sure, but for libs, modules and servers? And for
> > example when the package consist in multiple commands should them all be
> > tested?
> >

> Exactly, there are very good reasons why this is a SHOULD and not a MUST. I'm
> sure almost every reviewer will give a program a test run in the simple program
> case / scenarion.
Why should they and what would this give? "Hello world" links as proof a
compiler is functional?

Assuring function is an upstream task, but judging whether a package is
suitable for public use is the rpm maintainer's job.

That's one prime reason why I repeatedly refused to approve certain
packages.

>  Why must everything by regulated with rules, procedures and
> more rules? Why can't we just TRUST each other, I'm getting very tired, sick
> even, of this!
You're not alone - I feel this merger is not a merger but a "hostile
take-over by some dark powers".

Ralf