proposal: new guidelines for rule makers

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sat Jun 2 09:06:54 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 10:26:09AM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi all,

I don't know exactly what should be done, and maybe this is only a
temporary issue, but in my opinion we've lost some of the simplicity
and community smell of extras during the merge. Taking my example, in
the past I had never had a will to look at what the infrastructure team
was doing because it always seemed to me that they always did everything
to make me productive. plague, for example was a change for a better,
using bugzilla instead of mail for submission (after some
reorganization). Now every innovation seems to add more burden to my
work. Sometime after many screams of some community members (almost
always the same people) things ameliorate but it is always in an
opposition even on things that are evidently getting in our way.

I don't know exactly what is going wrong. Maybe it is just that I am
less adapted to doing a distro with all the constraints, and I better
fit in environment where it is assumed that I am working for a niche.
Maybe it is an issue about who is deciding now and that the objectives
are different now, and it leads to more burden because of that -- while
there is gain for some kind of users that are typically not those I
target. Maybe it is that balance was lost in FESCO/FAB.

--
Pat